- Recent Articles
- TOP 5 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN THE WARMEST JACKETS
- WHY DO YOU NEED COLD WEATHER BIB OVERALLS?
- 5 ALL WEATHER JACKETS YOU CAN WEAR IN ANY SEASON
- 5 WORK SWEATSHIRTS AND HOODIES THAT ARE PERFECT FOR FALL TEMPERATURES
- 7 OF THE BEST WORK JACKETS FOR MEN
- 8 BEST HIGH-VISIBILITY JACKETS FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS
- COVERALLS vs. BIBS: WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- HOW AND WHY TO CHOOSE A PUFFER JACKET
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST INSULATED BIB OVERALLS
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FLEECE JACKET
- BEST INSULATED GEAR FOR WOMEN
- OUTWORK ANY WEATHER WITH PREMIUM JACKETS
- THE BEST PANTS FOR COLD WEATHER
- TOP 7 FEATURES OF A SUBZERO SWEATSHIRT
- WHAT ARE THE BEST SWEATSHIRTS TO WEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOWN JACKET AND A PUFFER JACKET?
- WHY AND WHEN TO WEAR A VEST FOR WARMTH
- TOP 4 OPTIONS FOR SPRING AND FALL GEAR
- 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIVIS WORKWEAR
- TOP 5 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR RAINWEAR
- WHY DO YOU NEED A FREEZER SUIT IN THE GROCERY BUSINESS?
- WHY YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR BREATHABILITY AND WICKABILITY IN COLD WEATHER WORKWEAR
- 6 MOST DURABLE COLD WEATHER WORK BOOTS FOR MEN
- CASE STUDY: KEEPING CREWS ON THEIR FEET WITH PROPER FOOTWEAR
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE WORKBOOT
- HOW TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR WORK BOOTS
- HOW TO FIND THE PERFECT WORK BOOTS FOR LANDSCAPING
- THE SCIENCE BEHIND MOISTURE-WICKING SOCKS
- YOUR FEET WILL THANK YOU FOR WEARING THESE WORK BOOTS
- 5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE BEST WORK BOOT
- TOP 5 WATERPROOF WORK GLOVES
- 5 UTILITY GLOVES THAT KEEP YOU WARM IN EXTREME COLD
- GIVE COLD THE FINGER: TOP 5 FEATURES OF PREMIUM GLOVES
- HOW TO USE GLOVE LINERS
- TOP 3 ADVANTAGES OF PERFORMANCE GLOVES
- 3 WAYS TOUCHSCREEN GLOVES MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER
- TOP 4 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN WATERPROOF GLOVES
- HOW TO WEAR GLOVE LINERS ON THE JOB
- 9 WORK GLOVES BUILT FOR SERIOUS PROTECTION AND PERFORMANCE
- 9 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR WAREHOUSE WORK GLOVES
- Use & Care
- 10 ESSENTIAL PIECES OF COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR FARMERS
- 10 TIPS FOR WORKING SAFELY IN COLD WEATHER
- 3 REASONS WHY FREEZER SUITS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR WORKING IN THE COLD
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO WORKING OUTSIDE
- ADVANTAGES OF SYNTHETIC INSULATION
- COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- HOW TO AVOID DRAFTS IN COLD WEATHER WORK CLOTHES
- HOW TO STAY WARM FROM HEAD TO TOE IN COLD WEATHER
- HOW TO STAY WARM ON THE JOB SITE
- HOW TO STORE WINTER WORKWEAR FOR THE SUMMER
- HOW TO USE REFRIGIWEAR COMFORT RATINGS TO CHOOSE INSULATED GEAR
- THE HEALTH RISKS OF WEARING TOO MUCH COLD WEATHER GEAR
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER FOOT CARE WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
- THE ULTIMATE SAFETY CHECKLIST FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN COLD CONDITIONS
- WHAT SHOULD I WEAR FOR SNOWMOBILING?
- WHAT’S THE TOUGHEST GEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHICH TYPE OF SLEEVE IS RIGHT FOR YOUR WINTER ACTIVITY?
- TOP 5 COLDEST AMERICAN CITIES AND HOW TO STAY WARM
- TOP 4 TIPS FOR WORKING IN THE RAIN
- 5 TIPS FOR MOTORCYCLING IN WINTER
- HOW TO DRESS FOR THE COLD IN 4 EASY STEPS
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO STAYING WARM WHILE WORKING IN THE COLD
- HOW TO STAY WARM WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
THE SCIENCE BEHIND MOISTURE-WICKING SOCKS
Moisture-wicking socks are a game changer for anyone working in boots for long stretches of time. They keep your feet warm and dry, prevent painful blisters and control foot odor. They go a long way in keeping you on your feet at work, but have you ever wondered why socks that wick moisture are better than regular socks?
Let’s take a look at the fabrics and features that help draw sweat away from your feet and justify adding them to your list of must-have workwear!
How Can a Sock Help Keep Feet Dry?
We all know that sweaty feet in your boots makes for a miserable day. This happens when moisture can't escape your feet and builds up inside your boot.
Quality workwear socks are designed with fabric that allows moisture to travel along the fibers rather than be absorbed into it. The sweat has to go somewhere, though, so it’s important to have the right cold weather footwear with moisture management technologies.
The powerful combo of the right socks and the right boots equals extra warmth, comfort and protection.
It’s All in the Fabric
When it comes to their ability to wick moisture, not all fabrics are created equal.
Cotton is terrible at keeping you dry because it loves to pull in water. This is great for bath towels, not so great for socks. Merino wool, on the other hand, repels water rather than absorbing it. Merino wool also has antibacterial properties, making it an effective sock material for fighting bacteria that cause odor.
Merino wool may be great for moisture-wicking but it needs some help in the stretch and durability departments. For quality work socks, you’ll want a blend of natural and synthetic fabrics to cover all your bases. You’ll probably see a combination of fabrics like Merino wool, Nylon, Lycra, acrylic and even silk.
What Else Can Affect How Socks Keep Feet Dry?
The type of fabric in a moisture-wicking sock isn’t the only thing to think about. Activity level, boot style and how the sock is knitted together can all affect how well the sock does its job. Some people may also have health issues that cause excess sweating of the feet, which makes keeping feet dry and comfortable a challenge even with quality socks.
For the best moisture-wicking socks, look for additional features such as ventilation channels and mesh construction that enhance their breathability.
Want Comfortable, Dry Feet? You Need Quality Work Socks!
Buying cheap socks is one of the worst decisions you can make for your feet. If you want to avoid painful blisters and chafe, skip the department store socks and invest in a pair of quality work socks from RefrigiWear®.
Designed for cold environments, our moisture-wicking socks will help keep feet warm, dry and comfortable. Whether you need the perfect leather boot sock that breathes and insulates or moisture-wicking Merino wool socks for sub-zero temps, you won't regret giving your feet some extra TLC.