- Recent Articles
- TOP 5 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN THE WARMEST JACKETS
- WHY DO YOU NEED COLD WEATHER BIB OVERALLS?
- 5 ALL WEATHER JACKETS YOU CAN WEAR IN ANY SEASON
- 5 WORK SWEATSHIRTS AND HOODIES THAT ARE PERFECT FOR FALL TEMPERATURES
- 7 OF THE BEST WORK JACKETS FOR MEN
- 8 BEST HIGH-VISIBILITY JACKETS FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS
- COVERALLS vs. BIBS: WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- HOW AND WHY TO CHOOSE A PUFFER JACKET
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST INSULATED BIB OVERALLS
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FLEECE JACKET
- BEST INSULATED GEAR FOR WOMEN
- OUTWORK ANY WEATHER WITH PREMIUM JACKETS
- THE BEST PANTS FOR COLD WEATHER
- TOP 7 FEATURES OF A SUBZERO SWEATSHIRT
- WHAT ARE THE BEST SWEATSHIRTS TO WEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOWN JACKET AND A PUFFER JACKET?
- WHY AND WHEN TO WEAR A VEST FOR WARMTH
- TOP 4 OPTIONS FOR SPRING AND FALL GEAR
- 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIVIS WORKWEAR
- TOP 5 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR RAINWEAR
- WHY DO YOU NEED A FREEZER SUIT IN THE GROCERY BUSINESS?
- WHY YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR BREATHABILITY AND WICKABILITY IN COLD WEATHER WORKWEAR
- 6 MOST DURABLE COLD WEATHER WORK BOOTS FOR MEN
- CASE STUDY: KEEPING CREWS ON THEIR FEET WITH PROPER FOOTWEAR
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE WORKBOOT
- HOW TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR WORK BOOTS
- HOW TO FIND THE PERFECT WORK BOOTS FOR LANDSCAPING
- THE SCIENCE BEHIND MOISTURE-WICKING SOCKS
- YOUR FEET WILL THANK YOU FOR WEARING THESE WORK BOOTS
- 5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE BEST WORK BOOT
- TOP 5 WATERPROOF WORK GLOVES
- 5 UTILITY GLOVES THAT KEEP YOU WARM IN EXTREME COLD
- GIVE COLD THE FINGER: TOP 5 FEATURES OF PREMIUM GLOVES
- HOW TO USE GLOVE LINERS
- TOP 3 ADVANTAGES OF PERFORMANCE GLOVES
- 3 WAYS TOUCHSCREEN GLOVES MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER
- TOP 4 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN WATERPROOF GLOVES
- HOW TO WEAR GLOVE LINERS ON THE JOB
- 9 WORK GLOVES BUILT FOR SERIOUS PROTECTION AND PERFORMANCE
- 9 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR WAREHOUSE WORK GLOVES
- Use & Care
- 10 ESSENTIAL PIECES OF COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR FARMERS
- 10 TIPS FOR WORKING SAFELY IN COLD WEATHER
- 3 REASONS WHY FREEZER SUITS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR WORKING IN THE COLD
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO WORKING OUTSIDE
- ADVANTAGES OF SYNTHETIC INSULATION
- COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- HOW TO AVOID DRAFTS IN COLD WEATHER WORK CLOTHES
- HOW TO STAY WARM FROM HEAD TO TOE IN COLD WEATHER
- HOW TO STAY WARM ON THE JOB SITE
- HOW TO STORE WINTER WORKWEAR FOR THE SUMMER
- HOW TO USE REFRIGIWEAR COMFORT RATINGS TO CHOOSE INSULATED GEAR
- THE HEALTH RISKS OF WEARING TOO MUCH COLD WEATHER GEAR
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER FOOT CARE WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
- THE ULTIMATE SAFETY CHECKLIST FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN COLD CONDITIONS
- WHAT SHOULD I WEAR FOR SNOWMOBILING?
- WHAT’S THE TOUGHEST GEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHICH TYPE OF SLEEVE IS RIGHT FOR YOUR WINTER ACTIVITY?
- TOP 5 COLDEST AMERICAN CITIES AND HOW TO STAY WARM
- TOP 4 TIPS FOR WORKING IN THE RAIN
- 5 TIPS FOR MOTORCYCLING IN WINTER
- HOW TO DRESS FOR THE COLD IN 4 EASY STEPS
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO STAYING WARM WHILE WORKING IN THE COLD
- HOW TO STAY WARM WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
THE IMPORTANCE OF WELL-CONSTRUCTED HEADWEAR
To succeed, you’ve gotta use your head—but you’ve gotta protect it too! Whether you’re facing frigid temperatures or a few bumps and knocks, high-performance headwear is a must-have for many of today’s job sites. And it’s not just for work, either. Outdoor sports often need warm and weatherproof protective gear. So what makes RefrigiWear’s headwear options industry leaders? We engineer our products to be more reliable, more protective and maybe even just better looking.
Keeping Your Head Warm
Although the old wives’ tale about losing half your heat through your head has been shown to be a little off-base, your head is still vulnerable to losing heat.
Subcutaneous fat, the insulating stuff that’s in your legs, arms and other parts of your body, is really helpful in keeping you warm, but your head has very little of it. Blood vessels in other parts of your body tend to constrict when they get cold so they can redistribute the blood to vital organs, like the brain and heart, that need it more. So, your head keeps giving off heat even while the rest of your body is keeping it under wraps.
Because of this blood flow effect, lack of warmth in your head can signal other blood vessels to constrict. That means that even when you’re bundled up everywhere else, a cold head can reduce your blood flow in your fingers, toes and other areas.
Wearing a hat is essential for keeping your body warm because it reduces the amount of heat escaping from your head. And when you’re selecting a hat for warmth, it pays to go for the best materials. Wool is effective, but it can quickly turn from a positive to a negative when it gets wet. Many of our customers have warmed up to knit caps or other headwear made with synthetic fabrics because they’re better equipped for different weather conditions.
Injury Protection for Your Head
If you’re working on an industrial job site without a hard hat, you’re doing more than not fitting in—you might be breaking OSHA rules as well. A quality hard hat is critical for keeping your head safe and protecting you from devastating head injuries, not to mention staying OSHA-compliant.
Polyethylene is the industry standard for a durable and protective hard hat—it’s a high-density plastic that’s known for absorbing impacts well while being relatively light. To make sure your hard hat gives you the protection you need, look for a hat that’s compliant with the ANSI Z89.1 standard. Finally, make sure you’re not reusing hard hats that have taken a hit. Even if the damage isn’t visible, the protection might not be as great as it once was.
Headwear Options from RefrigiWear®
RefrigiWear® proudly makes it easy to find work and outdoor headwear that’s safe, well-made and looks good. From beanies to hard hats and everything in between, we’ve got the headwear selection that will keep you warm and protected.
Our favorite fusion of style and warmth, the ChillBreaker™ Cap is a cost-effective knit cap with a thick acrylic knit that stops the cold in its tracks. For extra safety, our knit process weaves special reflective yarn into the cap to make you more visible on the job. This cap is a favorite for refrigerated warehouse workers, airport tarmac workers, farmhands and many others.
Made to work with our legendary Iron-Tuff® Collection, these snap-on hoods create a new level of warmth for your jacket or coveralls. Combining high-tech RefrigiFill™ insulation with a water-repellent and wind-tight design, it keeps your head in the game and out of the elements.
A classic work-ready hard hat available in all different colors. Its seriously tough build meets the ANSI Z89.1 standard, and an adjustable ratchet system creates a better fit for any head size. It includes a brow pad to keep sweat from dripping into your eyes and help your head stay drier.
The ultimate combo for warmth and impact protection, the Hard Hat Balaclava is your best friend on a frigid job site. It’s got two layers of acrylic knit material for serious warmth wherever you go, and best of all, the long neck and snug fit over hard hats lock out the cold and give you real comfort.
Shop Insulated Headwear
No matter what kind of weather or situation you’re dealing with, RefrigiWear has the essential headgear to keep you warm. We’ve got over 60 years of experience in creating the best head protection around—and we know once you try it, you’ll never go back.