- Recent Articles
- TOP 5 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN THE WARMEST JACKETS
- WHY DO YOU NEED COLD WEATHER BIB OVERALLS?
- 5 ALL WEATHER JACKETS YOU CAN WEAR IN ANY SEASON
- 5 WORK SWEATSHIRTS AND HOODIES THAT ARE PERFECT FOR FALL TEMPERATURES
- 7 OF THE BEST WORK JACKETS FOR MEN
- 8 BEST HIGH-VISIBILITY JACKETS FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS
- COVERALLS vs. BIBS: WHICH ONE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- HOW AND WHY TO CHOOSE A PUFFER JACKET
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST INSULATED BIB OVERALLS
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT FLEECE JACKET
- BEST INSULATED GEAR FOR WOMEN
- OUTWORK ANY WEATHER WITH PREMIUM JACKETS
- THE BEST PANTS FOR COLD WEATHER
- TOP 7 FEATURES OF A SUBZERO SWEATSHIRT
- WHAT ARE THE BEST SWEATSHIRTS TO WEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DOWN JACKET AND A PUFFER JACKET?
- WHY AND WHEN TO WEAR A VEST FOR WARMTH
- TOP 4 OPTIONS FOR SPRING AND FALL GEAR
- 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HIVIS WORKWEAR
- TOP 5 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR RAINWEAR
- WHY DO YOU NEED A FREEZER SUIT IN THE GROCERY BUSINESS?
- WHY YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR BREATHABILITY AND WICKABILITY IN COLD WEATHER WORKWEAR
- 6 MOST DURABLE COLD WEATHER WORK BOOTS FOR MEN
- CASE STUDY: KEEPING CREWS ON THEIR FEET WITH PROPER FOOTWEAR
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE WORKBOOT
- HOW TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR WORK BOOTS
- HOW TO FIND THE PERFECT WORK BOOTS FOR LANDSCAPING
- THE SCIENCE BEHIND MOISTURE-WICKING SOCKS
- YOUR FEET WILL THANK YOU FOR WEARING THESE WORK BOOTS
- 5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE BEST WORK BOOT
- TOP 5 WATERPROOF WORK GLOVES
- 5 UTILITY GLOVES THAT KEEP YOU WARM IN EXTREME COLD
- GIVE COLD THE FINGER: TOP 5 FEATURES OF PREMIUM GLOVES
- HOW TO USE GLOVE LINERS
- TOP 3 ADVANTAGES OF PERFORMANCE GLOVES
- 3 WAYS TOUCHSCREEN GLOVES MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER
- TOP 4 THINGS TO LOOK FOR IN WATERPROOF GLOVES
- HOW TO WEAR GLOVE LINERS ON THE JOB
- 9 WORK GLOVES BUILT FOR SERIOUS PROTECTION AND PERFORMANCE
- 9 MUST-HAVE FEATURES FOR WAREHOUSE WORK GLOVES
- Use & Care
- 10 ESSENTIAL PIECES OF COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR FARMERS
- 10 TIPS FOR WORKING SAFELY IN COLD WEATHER
- 3 REASONS WHY FREEZER SUITS ARE ESSENTIAL FOR WORKING IN THE COLD
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO WORKING OUTSIDE
- ADVANTAGES OF SYNTHETIC INSULATION
- COLD WEATHER GEAR FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- HOW TO AVOID DRAFTS IN COLD WEATHER WORK CLOTHES
- HOW TO STAY WARM FROM HEAD TO TOE IN COLD WEATHER
- HOW TO STAY WARM ON THE JOB SITE
- HOW TO STORE WINTER WORKWEAR FOR THE SUMMER
- HOW TO USE REFRIGIWEAR COMFORT RATINGS TO CHOOSE INSULATED GEAR
- THE HEALTH RISKS OF WEARING TOO MUCH COLD WEATHER GEAR
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER FOOT CARE WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
- THE ULTIMATE SAFETY CHECKLIST FOR CONSTRUCTION WORKERS IN COLD CONDITIONS
- WHAT SHOULD I WEAR FOR SNOWMOBILING?
- WHAT’S THE TOUGHEST GEAR FOR COLD WEATHER?
- WHICH TYPE OF SLEEVE IS RIGHT FOR YOUR WINTER ACTIVITY?
- TOP 5 COLDEST AMERICAN CITIES AND HOW TO STAY WARM
- TOP 4 TIPS FOR WORKING IN THE RAIN
- 5 TIPS FOR MOTORCYCLING IN WINTER
- HOW TO DRESS FOR THE COLD IN 4 EASY STEPS
- A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO STAYING WARM WHILE WORKING IN THE COLD
- HOW TO STAY WARM WHEN WORKING IN THE COLD
HOW AND WHY TO CHOOSE A PUFFER JACKET
There are many puffer jackets in the world of winter clothing, so here are a few things to consider before making your final decision. After all, when navigating these waters, you will see pricing from $80 to over $1500, and many different takes on the style, so a couple of tips might make you a little richer in addition to more comfortable.
About Puffer Jackets
Puffer jackets, also called quilted jackets, have a signature quilted design with sections that are "puffy" between the stitching. They are filled with down insulation or synthetic fibers, both of which can provide a high level of warmth depending on how well they are made and the quality of the synthetic fibers.
Puffer jackets are often very lightweight, despite being very warm (with the down-filled jackets weighing a little more, so keep that in mind). Compared to wool or leather, puffer jackets provide the unique combination of both warmth and lightness. For example, our Frostline® Jacket keeps you warm in freezing temps while keeping bulk and weight to a minimum.
Puffer Jacket Insulation
As mentioned, these jackets can feature down or synthetic down insulation. Both are fairly lightweight, but not all methods of insulation will provide the same level of warmth. Generally speaking, a down-filled jacket will be warmer, yet synthetic down can be very comparable if the manufacturer knows a good bit about how insulation works.
At RefrigiWear, we have outfitted workers in minus-zero temperatures for over 60 years, so we know that the air in the layers of your insulation is what really helps create barriers against the cold. With our proprietary synthetic insulation, we provide high-quality quilted jackets that retain the loft of the synthetic fibers longer so your jacket will keep you warm after years of wear. Cheaper ways of insulating with synthetic fibers often result in the loss of fiber loft after shorter periods, leaving you more vulnerable to the cold.
How Stitching Affects Styles in Puffer Jackets
The "puffs" of a puffer jacket are created by the combination of the insulation layer and stitching. Though vertical and horizontal puffers are the most common, we have found that diamond and other geometric shapes provide a more fitted, functional jacket that lasts longer. Quilted designs can vary from small diamonds to larger triangles, which allows for different fits and styling. Our Women’s Pure-Soft Jacket features traditional horizontal puffs, with a more slim fit than most puffers.
Style, Warmth and Quality
From style perspective, you may hesitate and think that the puffer style will be too bulky and unflattering. That is why RefrigiWear offers quilted designs for a stylish fit that also protects and offers functionality. Lightweight but still warm, and great for both cold and cool weather, our quilted puffer jackets are great for both work and everyday wear.
As with all RefrigiWear garments, we crafted our quilted puffer jackets with our knowledge of tough working conditions, so you won't be disappointed in the quality of your RefrigiWear quilted jacket or the many years of wear you can get out of it.